Notes on Dursley and surrounding villages which will hopefully assist family historians in adding depth to the basic births, baptism, marriage and death records of their ancestors. The notes are taken from odd fragments of information gleaned over the years, and have no specific format. Much of the information is second or even third hand, and should therefore be checked against the original record. Information is added regularly.
Notes on errors, omissions and additions are always welcomed.
Dursley is situated fifteen miles south of Gloucester.
St. James Church. Original church 13th Century. The tower and spire collapsed on 7 January 1698/9. Rebuilding commenced 1708. The church was extensively restored 1867, architect Sir T.G. Jackson..
Congregational Chapel (United Reform Church),
Parsonage St. Originally built as a Tabernacle in 1808, refitted 1880. Earlier tabernacle
built about 1760, location unknown.
Rev. William BENNETT, 1830
John DANDO, hattmaker, 1775 and his widow Susanna, 1791.
Isaac DANFORD, 1788, and his widow Rachael. 1802
William KING, 1803
Hannah RUDDER, 1808
William SMITH, 1829
John TROTMAN, card board maker, 1839, and his wife Ann, 1836
Richard TROTMAN, baker, 1810
Presbyterians or Independents Chapel, West side of Water St. Built around 1718.Discontinued sometime afer c1760, used for a time as a school. In 1986 the building was a roofless shell.
Gloucestershire Notes and Queries. Volume 1. Edited by the Rev. Beaver H. Blacker, M.A., and published in 1881.
Gloucestershire Notes and Queries. Volume VI. 1894-5. Edited by W.P.W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L. Published 1896.
Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses, Gloucestershire. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England. 1986.ISBN 0 11 300008 1
Dursley and its Neighbourhood. By John Henry Blunt, M.A., F.S.A, First published 1877. Reprinted 1975 Alan Sutton. ISBN 0 904387 04 6
Parish Records. Gloucestershire Records Office.