Stoke Bliss, Herefordshire
The following article was transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Worcestershire and Herefordshire, 1896.
Stoke Bliss is a parish which is included in the parish of Little Kyre in Worcestershire, 6.5 miles south by east from Tenbury station on the Great Western and London and North Western joint line from Bewdley to Woofferton. 7 mile north from Bromyard and 21 north by east from Hereford in the northern division of the county. Partly in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester, but chiefly in the hundred of Broxash, Tenbury union and county court district and petty sessional division of Bromyard, rural deanery of Frome (north division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford.
The church (name unknown) is a building of stone, in the early English style, consisting of chancel with an oak screen, nave of four bays, south aisle and a south-western tower and entrance with low spire, containing a clock and three bells. The east and west windows are stained, the latter is in memory of Francis HOLLAND died October 20th 1883. The church was restored in 1854; the reredos is of marble with pillars of granite, and figures representing angels on either side worked in alabaster; there is a brass in the chancel to Edward J. ALEXANDER, who was drowned May 3rd 1889.
The soil is loamy clay; subsoil pure clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas, hops, and apples. Cider is made here. The population in 1891 was 261, including 112 in the hamlet of Little Kyre in Worcestershire.
National school (mixed) with master's house, built in 1872 for 100 children, average attendance 73. William Brown GUNN, master; Mrs. GUNN, assistant mistress.
Records Available for Stoke Bliss
Parish Registers available at Worcester Record Office [As of 1999] :-
Baptisms 1571-1964. Marriages 1571-1964. Burials 1571-1964.