Leonard Stanley Church Memorials 1879
Details from the memorial inscriptions from St. Swithen's Church Leonard Stanley, taken in 1879. More detailed information is provided on the entries relating to the HOLBROW family.
The first volume of Gloucestershire Notes and Queries was published in 1881, edited by Rev. Beaver H. Blacker, M.A., and is used for the bulk of the information detailed below. The spelling and grammar are as the original but surnames have been put in capitals to aid identification. The original data has been expanded to include age at death, as well as information from other sources.
This list does not cover all memorial inscriptions because it was compiled before the end of the 19th century, and also because it concentrates on the inscriptions within the church. Additions to the list are most welcome.
|Date of Death||Age/Notes|
|26 Oct. 1714||BADGER, Mary|
|17 April 1815||BEARD [nee PALMER], Ann|
|1 Oct. 1836||BEARD, Charlotte|
|19 Dec. 1705||BEARD, Deborah|
|16 March 1751||BEARD, [nee ARUNDEL], Elizabeth|
|19 Oct. 1732||BEARD, John|
|13 June 1791||BEARD, John|
|21 Feb. 1772||BEARD [nee HOLBROW], Mary||57 Note 1|
|19 Aug. 1774||BEARD, Nathaniel||64 Note 1|
|13 Sep. 1832||BEARD [nee COOKE], Sarah|
|25 Aug. 1694||BEARD, Thomas|
|15 Dec. 1824||BEARD, Thomas|
|3 June 1870||BROWN, Anne|
|3 Oct. 1821||BROWN, Charles|
|19 May 1858||BROWN, Elizabeth|
|11 Feb. 1817||BROWN, Giles|
|1 Jan 1871||BROWN, Katharine|
|8 June 1831||BROWN [nee BEARD], Mary|
|4 Oct. 1841||BROWN, Samuel|
|12 Feb. 1651||CLIFFORD [nee SHEPPARD], Maria|
|3 Dec. 1759||HOLBROW [nee CLISSOLD], Anna||70 Note 1|
|2 Oct. 1742||HOLBROW, Elizabeth||20 Note 1|
|24 Nov. 1780||HOLBROW [nee DALE], Elizabeth||60 Note 1|
|11 Dec. 1838||HOLBROW, Elizabeth||51 Note 1|
|2 March 1747||HOLBROW, John, Gent.||62 Note 1|
|25 Oct. 1780||HOLBROW, John, Gent.||68 Note 1|
|6 March 1849||HOLBROW, John||65 Note 1|
|16 July 1849||HOLBROW, Colonel, John, Bengal Army||58 Note 1|
|17 July 1836||HOLBROW [nee ???], Martha,||83 Note 1|
|27 Feb. 1803||HOLBROW, [nee HAWKER], Mary||31 Note 1|
|14 April 1814||HOLBROW, Samuel||55 Note 1|
|27 Jan. 1822||HOLBROW, Samuel, Junr.||29 Note 1|
|18 Nov. 1847||HOLBROW [nee Dimock], Sarah||79 Note 1|
|2 Jan. 1821||HOLBROW, Thomas||25 Note 1|
|7 Nov. 1833||HOLBROW, Thomas, Esqr.||76 Note 1|
|8 June 1767||HOLBROW, William, Gent.||49 Note 1|
|8 Jan. 1803||HOLBROW, William||52 Note 1|
|19 Dec. 1832||JONES, Revd. Timothy, Curate|
|31 Dec. 1851||LEWIS [nee BROWN], Mary|
|20 March 853||LEWIS, Revd. William Price|
|12 May 1808||MILES, Mary|
|19 Feb. 1838||MILES, Thomas, Esquire|
|27 March 1845||MILES, Walter, Gentleman|
|25 July 1728||PARTRIDGE, Daniel|
|23 March 1779||PARTRIDGE, John|
|3 Jan. 1787||PARTRIDGE, Rachel|
|15 April 1761||RISHTON, Mrs Eleanor|
|1741||RISHTON, Henricus, A.M.|
|10 June 1749||SANDFORD, Ralph, B.A.|
|14 Nov. 1769||SANDFORD, Robertus, Armig|
|29 March 1804||SANDFORD, Robert, Esq.|
|6 Maii 1743||SANDFORD, Sarah|
|25 July 1771||SANDFORD, Sara, Gen.|
|2 June 1766||SMITH, Revd. Richard, Curate|
|8 Oct. 1735||WELLS, Elb.|
|16 Dec. 1771||WILLETT, Jana|
|2 Aug 1849||WINTLE [nee LEWIS], Mary|
|[No dates]||WOOD, Benjamin, Surgeon|
|[No dates]||WOOD, Hester|
|21 April 1784||WOOD, Rebecca|
Note 1 The following inscriptions relative to members of the HOLBROW family are in the parish church of Stanley St. Leonards, having been copied in July 1879:-
1. In memory of John HOLBROW, Gent., who died March ye 2nd, 1747, aged 62. years. Also in memory of Anna, wife of the above John HOLBROW, & daugr of William CLISSOLD, of Pitchcombe, in this county (Clothier), who died the 3rd day of Decr., 1759, aged 70 years. Also in memory of William HOLBROW, Gent., youngest son of the above John & Anna HOLBROW, who died June 8th., 1767, aged near 50 years. Also in memory of Elizabeth, youngest daughter of John HOLBROW, Gent., & Anna, his wife, who was buried near this place Octob. ye 2nd., 1742, aged 20 years.
2. Sacred to the memory of John HOLBROW of this parish, Gent., who died the 25th day of Octr., 1780, aged 68 years. Also of Elizth., his wife, (daur. of Thos. DALE, late of this parish), who died the 24th day of Novbr., 1780, aged 60 years. Also to the memory of four children of John and Elizth. HOLBROW, viz. John, Elizabeth, Anna, John, who died in their infancy.
3. Sacred to the memory of William HOLBROW, son of John and Elizth HOLBROW, who died Janry. 8th, 1803, aged 52 years. Also of Mary, his wife, daughter of Richard and Grace HAWKER, of Dudbridge, who died Janry. 27th, 1803, aged 51 years.
4. Sacred to the memory of Samuel HOLBROW, youngest son of the late John and Elizabeth HOLBROW, who died April 14th, 1814, aged 55. Also of Thomas HOLBROW, Commander of the ship Marianne, fourth son of the above-named Samuel HOLBROW and Sarah, his wife, who died of a fever in the Isle of Java, Janry. 2nd, 1821, aged 25. Also of Samuel HOLBROW, Chief Officer of the Honble East India Company's ship Berwickshire, third son of the above named Samuel and Sarah HOLBROW, who died at sea Janry 27th, 1822, aged 29.
5. In memory of Thomas HOLBROW, Esqr., of Badbrook House, Stroud, who died Novr. 7th, 1833, aged 76 years. Also of Martha, his wife, who died July 17th, 1836, aged 83 years. Also of Elizabeth, their eldest daughter, who died Decr. 11th, 1838, aged 51 years. Also of John, their only son, who died March 6th, 1849, aged 65 years.
6. In memory of Sarah, relict of Samuel HOLBROW, daughter of John and Elizabeth DIMOCK, of Stonehouse, who died November 8th 1847, aged 79 years.
7. In memory of Colonel John HOLBROW, of the Bengal Army, second son of the late Samuel and Sarah HOLBROW. He died 16th of July, 1849, aged 58 years.
8. Underneath are interred the bodies of Nathaniel BEARD, late of this parish, Clothier, and Mary, his wife, daughtr. of John HOLBROW, of this parish, of this parish, Gent. He departed this life, August 19th, 1774, aged 64 years, and she Febry. 21st, 1772, aged 57 years.